JandA4

Monday, January 11, 2010

I live with PIGS

SADLY ENOUGH, THIS IS TRUE. This is how my boys room looks 90% of the time. I don't understand it. I yell until I am blue in the face, harp on them until I can't stand the sound of my own voice and threaten to knock them into next week if they don't get it cleaned up and promise to never let it happen again. But it always does. And it is usually trashed again about 2 hours after they have just cleaned it.

I just don't understand it. I was, as a child, and still am as an adult, meticulously clean. Everything had a place and it was always in it's place. I would dust my room, take my light fixture out of the ceiling and clean it, change the furniture around in my room, wash my window and the window seal, and vacuum perfectly straight lines at the age of 8. But somewhere I have missed the mark with my own kids.



If I made a mess, I quickly cleaned up after myself. I never sat there with a smug eating grin on. Basically I was the perfect child!



So I started to evaluate the rearing I have given my children to try to figure out what I have done wrong and where I need to change.



-Have I always taught them to clean up after themselves? Check. Only for some dang reason they don't. They leave it for me to either clean up or to yell at them to "get in here and clean up after yourself!"



-Have I taught them to put their clean clothes away properly? Check. Only for some reason, I end up getting folded, clean laundry BACK in the dirty clothes bins in the laundry room. (this infuriates me!)


-Have I taught them to take their dirty clothes either to the hamper in their rooms or to the laundry room? Check. Only for some reason I end up with mismatched socks that have been soiled and stuffed in the cushions of my couch and dirty underwear stuffed under the bed.



-Have I taught them to put away their toys after they finish playing with them? Check. Only for some reason they are strung into EVERY SINGLE room of the house.


I can't figure out anywhere that I have gone wrong. Only thing I can come up with for why this stuff happens is because of this guy.......
(this picture was taken somewhat by surprise and he wasn't pleased. Then again, the flaring of the nostrils and the pursed lips probably gave it away.)

12 comments:

Alli said...

HAHA...I am laughing out loud right now!! I was thinking the whole time you were explaining this I bet she blames it on Jeff. I about died laughing at that photo. Does he know you posted this? Abbie you crack me up!!! I am just glad I know that my kids rooms aren't the only messy ones and your kids aren't as perfect as you. For some reason that makes me feel better...haha.

HKins said...

Seriously funny! I love the pic of Jeff. He needs to leave a comment when he reads this post. I'm just dying to read what he has to say about all of this. :)

Anonymous said...

This is freakin' hilarious Abbie Jean! I admit, I would have to agree with you- Jeff's mom probably did everything for him, so they must get it from his side! ha! ha! :) Great post! I LOVED it! :)

Casey, Cammy and 5 C's said...

Hilarious! I feel so much better now b/c every time I am at your house it is PERFECT! I'm glad to know that sometimes your kids make messes too. Thanks for posting this. :)

abbie higginson said...

A few things here. #1 No, Jeff doesn't know that I put that pic of him on here. #2 He rarely looks at this blog and when he does look at it, he won't even know how to leave a post. #3 Yes Debi, you are TOOOOO right! Jeff had his mom draw his bath water for him and butter his bread. AND SHE STILL DOES! She even clips Sam's toenils still! He is 33 years old! God bless her soul!

Cody and Tracie Bradford said...

Abbie, I love the pic of Jeff. That is the real Jeff! Growing up that is the only look I ever got from Jeff. I am sitting here laughing out loud!

Cody

sorniefamily said...

Girl, i feel your pain. for a minute I thought you were talking about my children.

Mother Bird said...

you are cracking me up! I remember those damn lines in the carpet.

jeff said...

Abbie i'm here in Sydney australia waiting your arrival, and I get a bit bored and decide to look at your blog. WOW what a shocker to see the kind of house you are running. The one good thing is now the world knows what I'm up against. I have told you i will get you help, and checked into counseling, I should have just called the funny farm. When you get here to australia you have had it... Alli' debbi, heather, cammy as you know I'm gone alot, will you help her by calling her and singing CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN in her ear 25 times a day, and then just hang up. A doctor here in Australia told me that would fix her..

Suzanna said...

I'm still laughing I can hardly type. Guess what? I too was the PERFECT CHILD. Katelyn is like me to a point but Chase is just like his Daddy. His room looks just like Jens and Cades. Its that darn Higginson Gene. They should have told us this before we got married that it could possibly pass down from generation to generation. I feel so much better knowing I'm not alone. I will have company at the mental institute. I guess we will all be there together. Ha ha ha still laughing.

Suzanna said...

I just read Jeff's comment. Now I'm really busting a gut.

Krumpets Designs said...

Ok- I am printing out that picture of Jeff and putting it on my mirror- when I get up in the morning.... all my cares and troubles will disappear and I will laugh until I once again peeeee my pants! I love you guys! I can't stop laughing!