JandA4

Monday, October 5, 2009

Goodbye to Grandpa Hartvigsen

My grandpa passed away early Sunday morning in his sleep. He was 86 years old, or "half way to 172" as he would say. He was sooo ready to go and really, he quit living 7 years ago when my grandma died. Still doesn't change the fact that I will miss him. That I will still want to call his house and talk to him and when we finish speaking hear him say, "bye for now". I will still want to be able to touch his hands and feel how incredibly soft they are and I still want to hug him and smell him. He was a survivor of Pearl Harbor. He was on the USS Medusa when they were attacked. He was a diver and a gunner's mate. He dove several missions on the Oklahoma and 1 on the Arizona. He lived through many things that would have surely taken me. He owned a dairy farm for over 30 years and I LOVE my memories of the farm. But I know that he is so happy to be back with my grandma again.
I took these pictures last year

I took this picture last Sunday at My uncle's 50th birthday party. I went to see my grandpa on Friday and missed him and went back on Saturday and visited with him. He played solitaire while we visited and when I left he went for his usual ride out to the cemetery to "see grandma", came home, got into bed and started to work on his crossword puzzles and just... went. My uncle has been living with him to help care for him and found him on Sunday morning. I got to speak at my grandma's funeral and I get to speak at his funeral too and feel really honored to do so.

3 comments:

HKins said...

I'm so glad that you have a picture of Uncle Art in his blue pin striped overalls. When I think of him that is exactly how I picture him. I'm glad that he is with Aunt Norma again. I'm sure they are so very happy.

Alli said...

I loved how you described your sweet Grandpa. Wow, what a devoted man. My thoughts are with you. Can't wait to see you on Fri. and give you a big hug.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa! I read his obituary this morning and thought of you. You can tell that you loved each other very much! You're VERY lucky to have had a grandpa like that and to be able to have had him this long. Good luck at the funeral- I know you'll do great! :)