JandA4

Friday, March 5, 2010

Cade's Kindy 500

Cade's Kindy 500 was this morning. I got to go to the school to help. Cade's teacher had asked me to take pictures of each child in their car so that she could make a scrapbook of it. Jens and Sidney both did the Kindy 500 when they were in kindergarten but I never walked through all the stations before. What a cute little project! The kids make a cardboard vehicle and they "drive" to 7 patriotic symbol destinations. They learn about the Statue of Liberty, The Liberty Bell, Mount Rushmore, Betsy Ross and our flag, the Lincoln Memorial, the American Eagle and the White House.
I made Cade a taxi for his car. It turned out pretty cute I think!



I decided to post some pictures of some of the other kinds of cars. Some people are really creative!

I thought that this car was cute. It was a Fancy Nancy car, but the little's girls name who owned it was Abby. So the car was named Fancy Abby. Molly loves Fancy Nancy so much. If she is still a big Fancy Nancy fan when she reaches kindergarten, then I am going to copy this idea.


This little friend of Cade's had the cutest motorcycle. And yes, it is made out of cardboard. They painted it and printed off the clip art and made the coolest motorcycle. I wish that I had made him move his bag so that you could see it better.



Cade's other friend had a boat that was just too cute. It had working lights and real water in the window that was colored blue. It was so cute.

They learned about the Liberty Bell. When it was built and when it was retired. At the end of the destination each child got their own little Liberty Bell as a keepsake.

They learned about Mount Rushmore. How big it is, who designed it, how long it took to build, etc. At the end they got a coloring page of Mount Rushmore and a postcard of it.

They learned all about the Statue of Liberty and got a foam Liberty hat.

Then they learned about the American Eagle and got a picture of an eagle.
Then they learned all about Betsy Ross. About her life and her family and how she came to make the flag. They got a red, white and blue candy cane from her.
Then they learned about the White House. What kind of business takes place there, and about some of the rooms. They got a picture of the White House to take with them.

And finally they learned about Abraham Lincoln. About his family. His wife's name and his 4 boys names. What kind of pets he had, how tall he was, how he was the only US President to wear a beard and how he died.

They each got a penny as a keepsake.

4 comments:

HKins said...

Wow, this is the coolest kindergarten project ever! I want to go back to kindergarten just so I can do the Kindy 500. The cars are amazing! Fun stuff!

Suzanna said...

I love the taxi. How fun is this project for the kids. I can't believe how cute and creative the cars are. I would love to make Jens his own baseball card. Just email me a picture and his stats if you have them. If you can do it this week Jens can get it back with Chases order and some of the other kids.

Chelsea said...

Hey Ab, I am glad you posed this. It makes me happy to see they are still teaching good things like this in school. I remember learning about this in elementary. Those teachers sure did work hard to make it fun for the kids. Their cars were all amazing! I loved Cade's Taxi. Too funny!

sorniefamily said...

I swear, we parents get more fancy and detailed in our Kindy cars every year :) haha. i got off easy with glacin, Lana had saved Ashlyn's car from the year before.