JandA4

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Hmmmm......

My neighbor called me first thing this morning. She was ranting and raving about this "take home reader" book that her 2nd grader had brought home yesterday. (at our school the teacher's send home books for the kids to read as part of their reading. you have to listen to them read and sign them off as to how well they read and understood the book. they call them take home readers) Well her 2nd grader came home with this book called "Mom's Diet".

I went over and read it and I could not believe how ridiculous it was! It is entirely about this mom who you find out in the book is divorced. She is overweight and because she has no husband to council with, she councils with her children The WHOLE book is about her on the scale, her trying to make the kids eat ....... just tomatoes and lettuce or parsley and carrots with broiled fish. At least the author put broiled fish in one of the meals and her saying she is just too heavy. The kids are always complaining because they want to eat spagetti.

Then the kids go over to "Dad's house". The kids are going through the fridge and dad had turkey and cake and all kinds of things in his fridge. They are acting all starved and looking for spagetti from him. Dad has this smug look on his face as he says, "Let me guess.... Your mom is on a diet."

I was a little un-nerved because I have 2 daughters, who like most all girls , will worry about their weight at some point. I know that there is a huge obesity problem in America and a lot of the critic's complain because the supermodels are too skinny. Well, after reading this "school approved take home book", I think the problem is elsewhere too! I am totally overweight myself and you know what, the truth is that I just need to cut out the junk and exercise. I do NOT council with my kids about it. My husband, mom and friends yes..... My kids, NO. The book ends with the mom giving up on her diet. The kids say, "We like you just how you are. You are our cuddly mom."


Do you think this book is absurd? You really need to go to my friends blog and read the whole book and see all the pictures. Especially the very end one. It's a picture of the mom eating a doughnut. Her blog address is:

izzynivydesigns.blogspot.com

You gotta go to her blog and read the entire thing!!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

OMG that is terrible. That damn Joy Cowley what the hell was she thinking?!