JandA4

Saturday, April 11, 2009

We're Seeing SPOTS!

My friend Melanie does this party on Cinco de Mayo and she calls it Cinco de Eggo! It is a giant Easter egg hunt. Well I used to go to it every year and thought that it was so much fun, that I wanted to make one of my own. So about 5 years ago, I started having one. It has grown and grown! I do mine right around Easter (the week before or after, or 2 days before...). Well I had mine last night and it was GREAT!

We had....dun dun dun...1,592 eggs!!! Do you realize just how much that is??? That is only 8 away from 1,600! They are all over the lawn, in the swingset, the fences, EvErYwHeRe!


I let all the kids age 0 to 3 go, then kids age 4-7 go, then kids 8 and up. And I mean up! Sometimes my 18 year old niece is here, sometimes my 17 and 15 year old neighbor boys are here, whatever!
We had exactly 40 kids hunting this year! I hold them all back and I don't let them in my backyard until I say "Go!"
Each kid gets around 40 or so eggs.

I spend about 5 hours filling the eggs, days for planning the party, 1 hour making the food, 2 hours cleaning my house, and it is all over with and EVERY single egg is picked up within about 3 minutes! It's so crazy, it's way too many eggs and it is quite simply OVER THE TOP! And that's why I LOVE it!

After all the eggs have been gathered, I make them open each egg, put their candy in their basket and put the egg BACK TOGETHER and back in my bin. Some eggs have money in them, some have candy and some have vouchers for prizes.


Some of our prizes this year were squirt guns, bubble blower, sidewalk chalk and jump ropes.

After the egg part is over, we have a big pot luck dinner.


Thanks to everyone who came! It was a blast and I can't wait until next year!

7 comments:

Destri said...

So fun Abby! Next year I totally want to spotlight this on the mother huddle! So get ready...Thanks again it was great!

HKins said...

Abby this is amazing! I love that you do this every year. 1600 eggs! Wow! Have you built up to that # over that years? How many did you have the first year? What a fun idea...and so much fun. Does Em & Maleah come? Don't forget Carter next year. He'll be just old enough to grab an egg or 2 all by himself. What fun!!

HKins said...

Abby right after I wrote the last comment I had to ring my friend Deb...the one that is pregnant with my niece or nephew. Remember you made a comment on my blog when I announced the pregnancy. Anyway, I've decided to invite myself to your egg hunt next year and I'm bringing MoJo with me. He/she will be 8 months old by that time. I'm so excited! I just can't wait. FUN!

abbie higginson said...

The first time I did this hunt there were about 7 or 800 eggs. I can't remember exactly. I have about 900 eggs now that are just mine. Then I make each parent bring 1 dozen filled egg per hunting child. So they can add up pretty fast! Then I also have the parents bring me 2 bags of candy a few days ahead of time, with their eggs so that I can get all the rest of them filled. Each year I say to myself that I'm going to invite my neighborhood because I think that it would be soooo much fun, but then I don't dare each time because between my family, Jeffs family, our friends and the 2 neighbors on each side of us, we RACK in the kids! Maybe someday I'll be brave enough to do the whole bunch of us! I'll have to remind you about it next year so you can come. Poor cousin Mandy heard me say that for about 3 years before she actually got to come.....I'm soo forgetful, so remind me!!!

HKins said...

Oh Abby don't even worry about forgetting to invite me and baby MoJo. I have a great memory & I'll for sure remind you that I invited myself. :)

HKins said...

Maybe I'll even buy my dozen eggs tomorrow on clearance for next year. I'm all about a bargain! Brilliant idea for sure.

Mother Bird said...

wow Abbie! that is quite the egg hunt! how fun is that? you are a good neighbor! do you work for allstate?